Monday, November 14, 2011

It's been a whirlwind

I was so proud of myself for keeping up with this for a while, plus I had all our meals planned for about a month and was doing great with that - then pre-holiday season started and it just went downhill. Since I don't have my camera with me I'll just do a quick run down of the important stuff that happened in the past couple weeks.

Halloween - Last year when we went Trick or Treating Jacob was asleep by the third house and comfy as could be in his stroller. This year we went with his friend Claire again and they both had their own wagon. He was a little chef and freaking adorable. I have to admit I was a little unsure when I decided he'd be a chef, but I liked that it was unique and the costume came out just perfect. He even wore his hat the whole night. We'd pull the wagons up close to each house's front walk way then let the kids out and they had fun walking up to each door then standing there waiting for the candy. A few people would let them grab the candy and once you showed Jacob he could take it he went for piece after piece. I'm glad he found it so exciting considering he still isn't even sure what candy is.

Mosquito - This one you won't believe unless you see the picture. We've already learned that mosquitos are extremely attracted to Jacob and that he welts up pretty good, but because we recently got some rain a whole new type of mosquito showed up in our area. These mosquitos are bigger and much more agressive, I don't know what their real name is, but the news called them flood mosquitos (ironic we had them considering the drought we're in). We decided to take a family walk and let Scoot run out some of his pent up energy. I was pushing the stroller and we had made it maybe 100 feet from the house when Michael shooed a mosquito from Jacob's forehead. We made it to the street right next to our street and Michael was again shooing a mosquito from Jacob. I decided to call it a night and let Michael and Scoot finish their walk while I took Jacob back in. He got two bites, one on his left forehead and one on the right side of the bridge of his nose, near his eye. They both left pretty good welts, but we thought that was the worst of it. In the morning they looked about the same and Jacob went to school while Michael and I both went to work. About 9 AM Jacob's school called asking about the spots and I explained what happened and it wasn't anything to really worry about since I know they get dramatic some times. Then about 10 AM they called again to say that it was getting worse and he could barely open his eye. I did my best to keep my class going and started on their lab while calling Michael to make a plan of who would take off, or if we thought we could wait til 11:15 when I was supposed to get off and making a doctor appointment. This time they weren't worrying too much, I was shocked to see how swollen his little eye was, he looked disfigured. We went straight to the doctor's office and was then put on Benadryl, Motrin, and antibiotics. After a few days it went down and he was cute as a button. We definitely learned we're never leaving the house without our little bug wipes again.

Elevator - Jacob got stuck in his first elevator. It's not a milestone most people run to jot down in the baby book or anything, but I think it's pretty significant. After leaving the doctor's appointment from the above story we decided to take the elevator down even though it was only the second floor (he's not that light anymore). It was a new building since we couldn't get in to our normal doctor's office, and was very nice, so I didn't even think of my normal elevator fears. The screen showed we were on the second floor and as I watched to see it change to first an image popped up saying out of service. It took me about a minute to proccess that this sign wasn't to warn others not to come on because it wasn't going to work anymore, but that it really had just stopped. Note to all that this may happen to in the future - do not merely tap the help button, hold it down for as long as you want. If you tap it, all it does is make a little beep, if you hold it down it makes an impossible to ignore siren. Not even sure if it really alerts anyone, but at least you're making noise. Next was the call button, where they put you on hold. Once they decided to answer they tried some things from their side and had me push a few buttons, but nothing happened. The maitenance staff was called. It was nice hearing someone outside the door, but it was nerve wracking having them ask me if I knew what floor I was on. Then the technician was called in, and once he couldn't get it going he pulled us up from inbetween first and second to the second floor where we decided to take the stairs down.

Luckily it was just the two of us. We sang songs, played every game we knew, made faces, he never cried, and only pushed a button once. In fact they should have paid us because he cleaned the entire floor with baby wipes in the hour and a half we were in that little box.

Song and Dance - The Wheels on the Bus is the best song in the world according to Jacob. He knows how to follow along to two verses 1) the wheels go round and round and 2) the parents go shh, shh, shh. His round and round isn't very precise yet, but he gets a kick out of it.
His other favorite is when you sing, "shake your booty," he stops what he's doing and shakes.

I know there is a lot more, but that catches up on the main things that have happened. Hopefully I can get back into the routine of udating and getting our life back on schedule.

No comments: