A little late...just a week and a half. Time has flown by, but it is already impossible to imagine life without Jacob in it. It is absolutely amazing how much he develops each and every day.
Just a few things since Jacob arrived:
1) His Arrival
We checked in to the hospital at 5:30 AM and immediately got our labor room. They started the meds right away and let us get settled in. I was far enough along that the doctor could come in and break my water, we just didn't know when he would be heading over to the hospital. At one point the nurse said he may come around lunch, so I figured we'd be in for a long day, but he actually got there around mid morning and easily broke my water to get things started. With the amount of fluid I had he agreed with the nurse that I was lucky it didn't break out of the hospital since it would be really embarrassing with that much fluid. My contractions were right on top of each other, but it took a few more hours for the pain to start kicking in. When the nurse came to check in on me I still didn't have any pain, but she said the lady in the room next to me was getting her epidural so she was going to get me ready for it since it would be awhile for the anesthesiologist to get to me. She was right! The pain started and since my contractions were so close there was no time to rest in between them. I was so ready for the pain meds. Finally they came in and the epidural was not painful at all.
The only problem was once the medicine started kicking in Jacob's heartbeat plummeted. He was stressed from the intensity and speed of the contractions plus the medicine. They quickly flipped me to my side, hooked up the oxygen and gave me a shot of something. Finally his heartbeat went back to normal.
A couple hours later I could feel the contractions again but didn't want to push the button for more medicine because I was scared for Jacob. When the nurse came in I told her I could feel the contractions again and she gave me the go ahead to push the button once and wait 20 minutes to push it again. Of course as soon as I hit it Jacob's heartbeat went down again. The oxygen got it back to normal again, but I knew I definitely didn't want to hit the button again.
They checked my progress and the nurse was shocked that I was just about ready to push, so honestly it wasn't even up to me if I wanted more meds or not.
At that same time the lady in the room next to me started labor so my nurse had to go assist her and another nurse came in to check on me. I told her I felt pressure to push so she checked me again even though it had only been about 30 minutes and she said my feeling to push was the understatement of the year, Jacob was ready to arrive!
Pushing was so much harder than I ever thought it would be and I don't know how some people can do that for hours. I was exhausted and only had to do it for about 40 minutes.
The minute I saw him I was in love, and fell even more in love with him watching Michael run around the room following the nurses for pictures.
The birth was much easier than I thought it would be.
2) Gas
A couple months ago I was reading a newborn book and there was some section about gas and dirty diapers. I think it said something about how loud the farts are, and I told Michael that I thought it would be hilarious. Now with Jacob here, I can say that I was right. It is the funniest thing on Earth.
The second night home Michael and I were laying in bed with Jacob after a feeding, completely exhausted and ready for him to fall asleep. All of a sudden the silence was broken by the loudest fart you could ever imagine coming from a baby. I couldn't stop laughing.
The farts continue to be funny, even though they mean there is a dirty diaper or one on the way. In fact the farts are becoming even more funny because now they are accompanied by the most adorable faces.
3) Ahead of the Game
Jacob is a week and a half old now, and he is a genius. If not a genius he will definitely be a good athlete. Within the first several days Jacob could raise his head while burping him and turn from side to side. Since then he has been practicing his head movement by constantly lifting his head during burping sessions. Amazing, but a little scary now that he's spitting up more.
Also, at this stage babies should be able to see clearly 8 to 12 inches away from their faces. Jacob can follow fingers much further than that. He's amazing!
4) Doctor Visits
Jacob and I don't have compatible blood types so there was no way he was going to get away without having Jaundice. Poor little thing. This has caused extra doctor visits and even a return to the hospital to have his blood tested during the weekend. We're hoping that his levels have peaked, we at least know that it isn't going up very fast anymore, so that's a good thing. However, because of the amount of weight he lost right after birth and the Jaundice, we have to supplement his feeding with a couple of ounces of formula during each session...which has caused the increase of spitting up.
And just because we can't have things go smoothly Jacob and I now have back to back appointments on Friday because of an allergic reaction to my pain medication which has caused a lovely rash all over.
I'll get better about posting again. I've wanted to post for a while now about the things he does that make me laugh and shock me with how amazing a growing human can be, but there just hasn't been time or energy these past few days. Now that we're falling into a rhythm and I'm learning how to sleep during the day time naps :) I'll keep up!
Tomorrow we head up to Conroe to visit my office and a trip to Babies R' Us for a few small necessities (it's amazing how many diapers you go through)!
No comments:
Post a Comment