Monday, August 9, 2010

Helpful People

People love to say that the younger generations have no manners and only care about themselves. I've never really seen this, I mean there are people out there who could use a lesson or two from Mrs. Post, but for the greater whole people are nice.

I hear "please" and "thank you" every day, watch people hold the door open for others, and pick up and return dropped items.

Maybe it is just a different type of good manners and helping when needed instead of just interjecting that people aren't noticing.

One of my biggest pet peeves, and Michael agrees, is when we're out in public and Jacob lets out a little cry; people come out of the woodwork to say he's hungry. If I fed Jacob every time he let out a little sigh he would be the biggest baby you've ever seen. I think it gets on my nerves as bad as nails on a chalkboard because they are so freaking persistent and if you don't reply, "oh my gosh, you are so right. I'll go feed him now," they just stare at you like you don't know what you're doing.

Any way, I had two helpful incidents today, one I liked and one that was just uncomfortable.

1) I was standing in line at Barnes & Noble hoping the line would actually start moving because I was running late for my lunch date. The whole time in the store Jacob had been smiling and laughing as I showed him pictures in books. Not a single frown or cry the entire time in the store. As we're standing in line he let out a small cough. Nothing drastic at all, just a quick one cough. I bent over to ask him if he was alright. The older gentleman in front of me told me he knew why he did that, so I smiled to listen if maybe I had him positioned in a way that was constricting or something I had never heard of.
"He cries because the light is bright and he can't process it like our eyes, you should put the shade up over him so it doesn't bother him. Most mothers don't know that."
I told him he was happy and didn't cry, it was just a cough and he repeated himself.
I said thank you and smiled then picked up a book to comb through while waiting.
Two minutes later, "you aren't going to put the shade up?" as he glared at me.
Seriously?!?

2) After lunch we ran to the grocery store. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to parking at the store. I normally don't care how far I am unless it is about to storm and care mostly about parking next to a cart return because I always return my cart. It feels weird to me to leave it in an empty spot or just floating around. For the past week it has been over 100 hot with sticky humidity so I was checking the lot to find a spot near a return and closer to the store. Finally I pulled in as the cart guy emptied the return near me.
I grabbed Jacob in his carrier, diaper bag, and my coupon/shopping list binder and started walking to the store without a second thought about it.
There is one cart guy that I see every time I go and when we pass I smile and say hi. Well I see him start coming down the lane where I parked and turn back around as I'm walking to store, but I just thought he was checking to see if his partner had cleared the lane. As I get up to the front he is rolling a cart out and meets me in the drive lane with a cart and then helps me load Jacob's carrier in it.
That simple action went so far and beyond anything he ever had to do and although I didn't mind carrying everything, it was really nice to have that help.

I think everyone tries to help others just some action are more bold than others...which doesn't make them better.

No comments: