Yesterday morning I was changing Jacob and we were both happily getting ready for breakfast. He sang me songs and giggled while I got his clothes out and when we were all done I put him down to walk to the kitchen. He stumbled a bit, tossed the toy in his hand and as normal said, "uh oh" followed by a new one to my ears, it sounded a lot like, "oh shit." I didn't respond. It took me a couple minutes to decide if I heard him wrong or not, and I let it pass.
Then as I got him set up in his high chair he said it again, for no reason at all. This time I gave it no reply again since now I was trying to figure out where he got it from. I've cleaned up my mouth, but still have a slip up here and there so I thought back to anything I may have said recently. Then I decided that even though I slip, this wasn't my fault since that is not one of the words I say.
Now that I knew it wasn't my fault, and that I was hearing him correctly, I was ready for the many times he repeated it throughout the morning. I tried following every time he said it with, "ok" in hopes that would start saying that instead. He didn't get the point, but he did stop saying it; luckily before I took him to the YMCA where I would be an embarrassed parent.
Tonight he started it again. We're saying, "awesome" after each time and it seems to be working, sometimes it still sounds wrong and we snicker, but other times he just sounds like a kid of the 90's, maybe we'll teach him, "Sup Dawg" next.
No comments:
Post a Comment