When Charlie, my step-dad, came to stay with us for a month after Jacob came it was the best possible present anyone could ask for. I was up every couple hours with Jacob and at 7AM when I heard Charlie walking down the hall past our room I'd quickly gather our tiny baby and pass him off so I could get a little rest. We knew it was a gift during it, but now when we look back it we realize it was a HUGE gift.
The other part of this amazing help included home cooked dinners. Every day I'd be asked what I wanted and that night we had it for dinner. We went through all of my favorites from when I was growing up, including Chinese Chicken (which is now one of Michael's favorites too).
At night we'd go plop into bed and joke about how we've never done so many dishes. We were doing a load of dishes every night. This was a giant change to our normal routine of running the dishwasher once, maybe twice a week.
Now that Jacob eats the same thing we eat for dinner I really cook now. No more opening a can of something and heating it up. I use several skillets, pots, pans, food processor (to puree veggies to hide in food), a million utensils, pretty much anything we have in the kitchen I'm suddenly using for one meal. Our meals our healthier, but that dishwasher is running on a daily basis.
Last night as we finished the dishes and got ready to play for a bit before bedtime we reminisced on the amazing house guest we had. It's funny how such a boring chore can make you think of happy things.
No comments:
Post a Comment