Today we had Jacob's 1 month doctor appointment to check his weight, and the appointment made me realize what a great doctor's office we chose. I will recommend them to everyone!
I got to our appointment about 15 minutes early and the office was completely dark. If I hadn't checked the appointment reminder card right before leaving the house I would have thought that I showed up on the wrong day and the office was currently closed, but then I remembered our first appointment and that showing up early to a 1 o'clock appointment means you are showing up while everyone is at lunch. So we signed in and waited for everyone to come strolling back.
It only took a few minutes and the receptionist came in and said hi, then two minutes later the nurse came to the door and called us back like old friends. As I got to the door he took Jacob's carrier for me and noted how big he is getting. That comment alone won me over since everyone else that meets Jacob says he is so small, it was nice hearing someone else notice his growth.
We got into the room and started the normal procedure as he told me how he and his wife were thinking of having another kid. It is such a friendly office, and not forced conversation like most offices.
Anyway, the important stuff:
Weight 8lbs 4.5ozs
Length 21.5 inches
Head 15 inches
His head was re-measured because he couldn't believe the growth in just a month. We have a smart baby :)
Dr. Anstee came in and was so proud of his weight gain. Even though he got off to a slow start she said he was putting on the weight perfectly now. She rolled him on his tummy and Jacob showed how strong he was raising his head twice for her. All looks good!
The only issues we have now:
1) He's starting to drool which although there are no teeth showing yet, means that teething is around the corner. Se we just need to keep an eye out for it.
2) Jacob likes to take cat naps now. No full naps. He starts to fuss and get sleepy, so I soothe him to sleep and then by the time I get ready to take a nap with him he wakes up. The doctor said I should keep him entertained when he wants to sleep to try and avoid the quick naps, and if he is really tired he'll ignore me and take a real nap. This should also help with teaching him the difference between night and day. Since he still wakes up several time through the night and takes forever to fall back asleep we're going to see if ending the cat naps helps. If he hasn't started sleeping through the night more by the next appointment in a month then she's going to teach us some tough love options to soothe him back to sleep instead of picking him up and feeding throughout the night.
Once the visit was done she reminded me about the vaccinations we start at the next visit and reminded me to call or email her if I had any issues or questions. So nice!
As we checked out the receptionist came from behind the counter to see Jacob and made me feel like a proud mom again. Then as we got ready to walk out she told us "Happy Mother's Day."
Michael and I chose this office the night before I went in to have Jacob and we really lucked out. I wish Dr. Anstee was my doctor too.
No comments:
Post a Comment