Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Role Model

There is a new 7 month old at Jacob's day care and the boy climbs, crawls and walks along the wall. He is just go, go, go and I couldn't be more excited.
Although he is a bit energetic and really strong I have high hopes that he will be a good example for Jacob as he learns to move around.
I've been subbing in the class next to Jacob for the past several days and every now and then I get to go watch the nursery for an hour. Watching the two boys stare at each other and the way Jacob follows every move Caleb makes me believe it will be no time before he's crawling around.

He has been able to roll to get where he wants for a while now, but normally stays near his blanket (never on it though), but last night when I got home Michael even noted that you have to watch him because he's traveling so much now. Jacob was on the blanket when Michael went to grab Kleenex. He turned around to see Jacob across the room by the fireplace.

On the same line of role models, I've met a few not so good ones while working at the center. Mainly they're in my class - 2-4 year olds. There are nine in my class; 7 girls and 2 boys, and about 6 of them are alpha kids. I'm surprised I still have a voice after constantly explaining why we do not hit each other under any circumstance and then repeatedly saying, "go to time out."

I truly can't stand the bullying going on, but the worst part is the lack of potty training. I've had to change two poopy diapers for a 3 year old. These kids barely fit on the changing table.

I'm ready to get in the classroom with older children, but this experience had definitely shown me a few ways I want to make sure I raise Jacob.

No comments: