Thursday, February 18, 2010

Some People Can't Keep Their Mouth Shut

There is a filter between your brain and mouth that I've learned many people seem to not know how to use, or do not come equiped with one. While normally I find this hilarious and love hearing the outlandish comments made at the completely wrong time, it is starting to get old. Don't get me wrong, I have not been offended by anything that has been said to me during pregnancy; I'm just not finding it quite as funny anymore.
When I found out I was pregnant I only told people that are close to me, including people in the office that were bound to find out. This did not include the store managers I work with since gossip spreads faster than wild fire and I was sure they would find out before I had a chance to process it myself.
1) "Are you pregnant? I didn't even know you were married."
This came from a store manager that most definitely knew I was pregnant, but I have avoided since I've been showing. Also, she knew I was married because she made comments about my wedding since it was the same day as some other store manager's wedding which means nothing since she was never going to be invited anyway. I really wish I would have responded that legally the state of Texas won't let me get married, but that my life partner and I are ecstactic!
2) "How much weight have you gained?"
Seriously? This has come up several times from store managers and sales people. How would you like it if I greeted you and then quickly added, "wow, how much weight have you put on?" Seriously!
3) Your horrible birth story
I'm a light weight, I hate pain. I hate pain enough that once it gets to a certain point my body just shuts down. The whole birth part of pregnancy has worried me since I got over the "I'm pregnant!" joy. With this last trimester I've finally come to a good point and researched the drugs enough to be ready for this whole thing. I've read the birth stories of people I've gotten to know on message boards to know that I can get through it, and I've elected to walk out of the room if there is a birthing video during my class. I'm mentally as ready as I'll be. My plan does not include people I barely know, especially if I don't even know your name, to tell me the horrors of their son's or daughter's birth. Please leave your details to yourself so that I do not have to find a polite way to say that you are creeping out a complete strange, but thanks!
4) Your medical opinion
I have insurance and spend enough money each month to see a doctor with a diploma on his wall and a good track record of delivering babies. Just because you sell baby clothes does not mean you can really have any medical opinion about me or my pregnancy. However, if you had a white lab coat and stethoscope around your neck, I might take you a little more seriously.
And lastly...
5) Breastfeeding
Yes, I realize this is a big debate and blah, blah, blah. There are adults now that are amazing people who were formula fed and amazing people that were breastfed. It's just the way it is and a personal opinion. If I barely know you, I don't find it appropriate to talk to you about whether or not I'll be using my body to feed my child. Perhaps my opinions will change, but until then I'm keeping my mouth shut on the topic and will just stare at you with amazement as you go on, and on, and on, and on about the whole thing. This one especially applies to people that bring this up at a party after they've had a few...because that's what everyone wants to talk about during a night out.

2 comments:

Judi Mohn Griggs said...

So, I"ve got to assume the rest of your week went a little better than today?

The Tigers said...

It has been an ok week, just long. All of a sudden people are coming out of the woodwork with strange comments though.