Saturday, December 11, 2010

Teething

A few months ago I was sitting at lunch with a girlfriend when I told her I thought Jacob was teething because of several symptoms, including extra drooling. She asked if it was like a waterfall because if it runs non-stop then you know it is teething.
He wasn't drooling non-stop, and he didn't get fussy or anything you commonly read, but within the next day 2 teeth popped out on the bottom in the middle.

For the past few weeks we've closely been watching the top center teeth and swearing they were coming any day now, but nothing. We just couldn't really be sure when they would come because he handled the first two so easily.

On Thursday Michael noticed a little white showing from Jacob's upper gums and we were so excited for the teeth to come, but we had no clue how different this experience would be from the previous set.

First, we completely understand what "waterfalls of drool" looks like now. When he's sucking on his pacifier drool is streaming down, while he's crawling drool is pooling on the floor like a map of where he's been. There is constantly drool.

Then there is the neediness. For the past couple days Jacob hasn't wanted to leave our side. In all honesty it is probably my favorite side effect of teething this time since with all his crawling and standing up it is nice for him to just want to cuddle every now and then.

Lastly, is the low-grade fever and mood change. Our little boy that smiles all the time seems to be scared to ham it up because of the pain in his mouth.

While we're still excited for these pearly whites to show up, I wish they would hurry along because I miss my feel-good all smiles little man.

No comments: