Thursday, December 30, 2010

Worst Fear

I took Jacob to the park today to make up for making him go to the mall with me yesterday. It was overcast out and rained like crazy yesterday so I had high hopes that people wouldn't be there. Yeah, not so much. Apparently everyone had the same idea. The trails were full and the playgrounds packed with kids running around.

We sat by the lake to watch people feed the ducks, found a spot on the swings, and then ventued to the baseball field to roam freely. We made it a great experience and were ready to go home.

I had Jacob in my arms and we started to the car. About half way back i stumbled. Immediately I knew I was going to fall and had to keep Jacob safe. It's strange how quickly you fall, but I could remember every part of it trying to move my body in a way to keep him surrounded and safe from the impact. When we hit the ground I had succeeded in keeping Jacob completely safe.

A jogger saw us go down and came over to help. She held Jacob for me while I regained my composure. Stupidly I looked at the gash in my knee to assess the damage and instantly began to get woozy, a minute later I was out cold.

Waking up and seeing this stranger holding Jacob scared me more than the fall or the pain. I was so glad to see her still standing closely and taking care of Jacob instead of all the other horrible scenarios that played in my head. When I woke up the next time she was still there with Jacob and now two more men. One last time out and the group was still there, but this time with 911 on the phone for an ambulance to come and mend up my knee.

I had both Michael and family on their way over to take care of Jacob, and they got their just in time to head to the hospital.

Now 12 stitches later and a lot of pain killers, Jacob is completely safe and at home, I'm healing, Michael is taking care of both Jacob and me, and I'm a bit nervous to walk around and carry Jacob.

No comments: