I was surprised how packed it was, it was like everyone was off for summer again. The other surprise was that Jacob, who had started really warming up to the songs with everyone, reverted back to his stone face and shy as can be. I wasn't even allowed to wiggle his feet as we read "Mouse Paint" without a quick stiffening and a stare down. When we got up to do the Hokey Pokey he thought it was the perfect time to make an escape and tried leading me to the door. I felt like all the work from the summer was gone.
We walked through the picture books and I picked out two while Jacob picked out one. We tried reading them at the library, but Jacob had more fun going up and down in the chair than he did reading, so we checked them out instead. That's right - 18 months old and checking out books from the library.
Since the weather is getting so nice I thought about packing a picnic to take to the park near the library, but instead we just ate our snack on the way there. Little did we know that this is what half of the toddler time group does. The playground was packed, but because we had stuck around the library for a bit some were leaving making it a manageable crowd. He ran to the slide to start climbing up, but wasn't allowed to because of all the kids there wanting to go down it. He walked to the back to one of those half rainbow shaped ladders (I don't know how else to describe it) and he preceded to climb up it. No help except for me reminding him to use his feet instead of his knees and he made his way up. I couldn't take a picture because I was shocked and nervous his first trip up, but I did get one as he made his way up the ladder.

He also went down the rainbow ladder with no help until the very end.
Michael put it best when I told him of these accomplishments by saying, "nothing will stop him now."
No comments:
Post a Comment