Saturday, October 22, 2011

Weekly Menu

This week we cooked more for ourselves than for Jacob. Or at least we made some of our favorites and simply modified or made other meals for Jacob, so if you're looking for toddler meals, this may not be the right post.

Monday - Steak Sandwiches
I made this a couple years ago and Michael loved it, so I bring it out every now and then to suck up. All you do is cut up strips of steak, onions, mushrooms and bell peppers, put in the crock pot with some red wine, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder (and if you're not planning on serving any of it to a little one, red pepper flakes). Toast a roll, mix some mustard, little bit of mayo and horseradish sauce - then serve. We tried this about a month ago and I sliced my finger cutting the rolls so I never had any, but we made it through fine this time with some homemade sweet potato chips and pasta salad for sides.

Tuesday - Spaghetti with Pork Meatballs
Nothing really to it. Jacob wasn't as big of a fan as the normal meat sauce we make, but we served cheesy garlic bread too so the meal wasn't a complete fail to him.

Wednesday - Pot Roast and Whipped Potatoes
I placed dry onion soup mix and two cans of cream of mushroom soup in the slow cooker with some beef broth and it made the best gravy for the entire meal. We both loved it, and Jacob loved my whipped potatoes.

Thursday - Pumpkin Ravioli (Chicken Ravioli)
Back to pasta. I've been wanting to make the pumpkin ravioli for a while. You use won ton wrappers for the "pasta" and the filling is navy beans, garlic powder, pureed pumpkin, ricotta, and I added a little cinnamon. It was tasty and unique, but not worth all the effort for a week night of cutting out circles, stuffing, and sealing raviolis. Michael was glad I had the store bought chicken ravioli for back up because he knew he wouldn't like it from the start. Jacob didn't even give it a try.

Saturday - Chicken Fajita Salad
Crazy easy for me since the only thing that needed to be cooked was the chicken and Michael did that on the grill. I bought the pre marinated chicken and it was actually really good. We've gotten the frozen grilled chicken before and I'm not a fan at all, but I liked this. Then made a salad of everything we wanted on it - black beans, pico, salsa, ranch, cheese...
Jacob had a pre-made chicken and rice casserole, but as I heated it up I quickly saw it wasn't what the picture looked like and Jacob agreed deciding to eat only his grapes and milk really.

No comments: