Sunday, October 16, 2011

Weekly Menu

Last week we had a lot of winners for dinner, and only one was a repeat recipe.

Monday - Pork Lo Mein
I never thought about making lo mein before. We do stir fry every now and then, but never thought of this simple dish.
We used whole wheat spaghetti noodles, and made a sauce of pureed sweet potatoes, chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce and corn starch. I ended up doubling up the sauce since I added frozen stir fry veggies to our meal and it came out a little corn starchy, but they may have been my own error while doubling without measuring.

Turkey Sliders
This is a go to recipe here. I mix ground turkey with finely chopped carrots, green onions, celery, mushrooms, an egg and Worcestershire sauce. Serve on sweet Hawaiian rolls, and serve with pasta salad and roasted sweet potatoes. A favorite with everyone.
With the leftover patties I dice one up and put in my salad for the next day's lunch. It's a nice change to my normal grilled chicken in there.

Honey Chicken
Another slow cooker meal (we have one a week at least now). There is really nothing at all to this recipe and Michael loved it, asking to add this to the menu again soon. In the morning I placed chicken, 2 cups honey, some soy sauce and olive oil - cooked all day and served with the stir fry veggies (to finish up the bag of them) and brown rice.

Southwestern Lasagna
I got this one from Rachel Ray. The only change I made to the recipe is that I didn't add the jalapenos since we add all spice after cooking now with Jacob. I can't say it enough, this thing is freaking amazing.
All you do is layer corn tortillas, salsa, refried beans, cheese, pork taco meat and peas, then top with sour cream and cilantro when serving.
Michael saw me pulling it out of the oven and quickly asked me why there were peas on our dinner, but they add a refreshing taste to it and you don't even realize they're there.
On Saturday for snack time I pulled out a little plate of it while Jacob ate his fruit snack and after he finished his fruit he ate half of mine, and then another small plate that I heated up just for him. Definitely a winning recipe and one we will constantly repeat.

Friday was date night. Jacob stayed at Grandma and Grandpas while Mommy and Daddy went to Perry's Steak House for their amazing happy hour special of $6 martinis and mixed drinks, and half off appetizers (that are the size of meals). Our 4 drinks and 2 appetizers there ended up being less than the wine bar with one flight each.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Sounds delicious! I'm going to have start trying out some of your recipes!