For the past couple days I've noticed Michael and I get snippy with each other and taking offense to things that were said in jest. This is completely not like us, especially over stupid stuff.
For example:
1:20 AM Thursday morning. I've just sat down in bed with Jacob in my arms.
Michael: Did he wake up?
Me: No, I just decided it was a good time to wake up and hold him.
Michael: I was just asking. (with a humph and then he was back to sleep in 5 seconds)
I was a little snarky saying it, but in all honesty I was just joking at what a silly question it was.
There have been a hundred of those examples just as pointless and I blame exhaustion and the fact that we don't take time out for each other as much as we should. The time we have with Jacob is so limited we spend every spare minute playing with him or doing chores.
Finally last night, after another feelings hurt joke and then checking to make sure everything was ok, I said we need a date night.
I don't know if it was just saying it or planning to go to the movies, but when Jacob fell asleep we were back to our old selves. Joking without feelings getting hurt. Laughing and smiling non-stop. It was the best.
From now on we will definitely make room for grown up time. It doesn't have to be much, but a little goes a long way.
No comments:
Post a Comment