Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Too Much Food?

Jacob had weight gaining issues for the first couple months of his life. He lost almost 10% of his weight while in the hospital and took a month to put it back on. Everyone asked if he was a preemie because of how small he was.If you look at him now though, you would never guess that. I weighed him last night and he is 14lbs - right at or just above the 50th percentile line.

He takes a 7oz bottle about every 3 to 4 hours and (once upon a time) slept soundly from 9:30PM til 6:30AM. Averaging about 6 bottles a day he was taking around 42oz's.

Then on Friday I went to pick Mr. Man up from day care and the director asked me if he had been eating more at home because their daily log showed he was eating about 7oz every 2 hours. We got him home and for the weekend he continued to eat every 3-4 hours. I figured maybe it was just a tough day for him or something and he needed more food.

Monday was even worse though. His sheet said he was eating every 1 to 2 hours. He had eaten 5, 7oz bottles during the day. This puts him at just over 50oz for the day!

We're talking to the day care today to make sure that they aren't just shoving a bottle in his mouth every time he fusses, but actually checking to see if he's bored or tired.

I guess my main question is: I've read several places that there is such thing as too much formula, is this true, and how much is too much? I've emailed our doctor, but would love to hear from others that may have experienced this.

No comments: